Friday, June 3, 2011

Homemade Kool-Aid Play Dough

{Colorful Kool-Aid Play Dough}

Okay...Kool-Aid Play Dough was my absolute favorite thing to make when I was little, and I admit it still makes me a little giddy even nowadays. Who can resist a cheap, homemade version of play dough that actually smells good? ;) (and that is made of edible ingredients! Come on...we all know that's a necessity with little kiddos and play dough! Goodness, that makes me think I should make my next batch with fresh ground whole wheat! Just in case...)

Ingredients:
1 c. flour
1/4 c. salt
1 Tbsp. Cream of Tartar
1 pkg. unsweetened Kool-Aid
1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1 c. water

Mix flour, salt, cream of tartar, and Kool-Aid medium saucepan. Add the oil and water. Stir over medium heat for 3-5 minutes.


Once the dough starts sticking together enough to form a ball when stirred, it's time to remove it from the heat and scoop it out onto a lightly floured surface on the counter. (you only need a VERY small amount of flour- not nearly as much as I have on my counter!) Knead the dough until it's no longer sticky...and obviously resembles play dough. :)


And last but certainly not least...let the play dough serve it's purpose! It stores well for at least a few weeks in a plastic ziploc. (Though I admit that several times I've found "forgotten" play dough in the back of the drawer months later and it still looks/smells fine and isn't dried out!)



(Just wanted to update...I was asked if this play dough stains skin or surfaces. I have been making this stuff since elementary school and have never had that problem!)

No comments:

Post a Comment